In the past year, kitchen remodeling has been a top project for remodelers and it’s a wonderful way to increase the value of your home. But, you want to make sure that you are setting yourself up for success before demolishing your existing kitchen cabinets and floors. Follow these do’s and don’ts to achieve the dream kitchen you’ve always wanted the appropriate way:
- Research to make sure you are hiring the right contractor. Browse reviews online, seek out input from your friends and colleagues, and don’t settle just because one contractor has the lowest bid.
- Determine your kitchen must-haves—do you want your kitchen to be energy efficient? Have a specific finish or countertop material? Do you want to have high-tech appliances?
- Think about a smart floor plan for your new kitchen. Keep it functional and efficient with adequate storage and countertop space that fits your needs and the needs of your house. What is the purpose of your space? What do you use your kitchen for most? Cooking? Entertaining? Spending time with your family?
- Store all your receipts. Save the receipts in a safe place to present when filing your taxes or to use if you decide to sell your home in the future.
- Focus only on the aesthetic of your new kitchen—shiny countertops or a perfect color palette aren’t the most critical things about your new kitchen. Ensure the quality of your cabinets, countertops and replacement windows is high to keep your kitchen working efficiently for a long time.
- Forget to consider the budget! Stay on budget by prioritizing based on your needs and what features are most important to you. We advise budgeting at least 10 percent more than what you imagine you’ll need so you can cover unforeseen costs during the remodeling process.
- Forget about windows! Pella Windows and Doors has a range of excellent kitchen window styles that can pull together an entire kitchen remodel.
One of the most important aspects of a kitchen remodeling project is the windows—they allow light into your space, set the tone for the room and give you a gateway to the outdoors, which can be beneficial when there’s a cool breeze on a summer day. If you are thinking about replacement windows as a part of your kitchen remodel, give our experts at Pella Windows and Doors a call at 203-663-3778, check out our Norwalk showroom or arrange an in-home consultation with us online so we can help you select the right replacement windows for your kitchen needs.